Sub-freezing winter temperatures could cause damage to water pipes and other property. As the weather gets colder, it is always good to prepare your home in case of a freeze. Protect your water pipes by doing the following:
- Cover all exposed outdoor water lines with pipe insulation.
- Cover all outdoor back-flow preventers and irrigation systems with pipe insulation
- Leave cabinet doors open at each sink to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Leave one water tap per household slightly open so that water drips continuously.
- In case of a water line break, turn off the water at the water meter box.
For more information on how to prepare for a winter storm, please see the resources below: